Other Things to See and Do in Murphy, NC
Cherokee County Historical Museum
87 Peachtree St.
Murphy NC 28906
- Drive and hike the 1,000 year old Unicoi Turnpike, designated one of sixteen Millennium Legacy Trails nationwide. Start at Joe Brown Highway in downtown Murphy and end in Vonore, Tennessee. (69 miles, about half gravel U.S. Forest Service Rd.)
- Tour the former Valley Towns on Rt. 19 north between Murphy and Andrews
- Visit the Clay County Arts and Historical Museum to learn more about the Spikebuck Village there.
- Stroll the Rivercane Walk along Brasstown Creek at the John C. Campbell Folk School.
- Call ahead to the John C. Campbell Folk School to make reservations for a family style hearty lunch or dinner.
- Picnic, camp, hike, boat, and fish at the Hanging Dog Recreation Area (U.S.F.S.) on the Joe Brown Highway west of town.
The following locally owned and operated shops carry authentic hand-made Cherokee arts and crafts.
- Brasstown Valley American Indian Gallery–south of Hayesville near Brasstown Lodge, a site occupied by American Indians 10,000 years ago.